Friday, May 11, 2012

To Be Greatly Praised

Proverbs 31: 30-31. "Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
    but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.
31 Reward her for all she has done.
    Let her deeds publicly declare her praise."


Define a beautiful woman?   Media and Hollywood film display on a 24-7 loop, anytime, any place, their gold standard. 

Marilyn, Elizabeth Taylor, Angelie Jolie...

Practical but with style and great taste ---that was my mom. Probably a size 5 or 7 petite, she shopped frugally. Nordstroms semi-annual sale, TJ Maxx, Macy's one-day sale--and she did it often! 

She never missed the "Clinique" give-aways.  Her vanity drawers were full of the aqua colored beauty secrets. 

And her shoes!  Should I continue?  

My mom was cute and looked good for her advancing age.  I hope to do so well. 

Her true spiritual journey came later in her life and so did a second chance at love, a love she never expected after so many years had passed since our father died, leaving her a widow at 49. God brought two people together as friends at a time in their lives when past sorrow grooves and laugh lines combined on faces of hope. 

Define a beautiful woman? 

My mother watched the cancer creature creep again.  She became his hospice home, his death watch, his prayer to heaven. 

 I watched, in awe of her strength, the passionate beauty that God brought to the surface in the midst of her fear and pain. I understood so much by then about mothers and children, about children and mothers. Strength does come from family ties and God holds the shoestrings. 

I will go visit her headstone this weekend and bring her some lavender roses. 

And I will give her praise.  


My mother Joyce with grand daughter Katie and Mike ♥
Lord, continue to give me the strength and passion to love and be loved in and through many memories. Thank you for my mother and what she brought to my life.  Amen.  

2 comments:

  1. Lovely memoir of your mother and very appropriate for Mother's Day weekend. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our AWF is blessed with quite a number of loving mothers. I suppose that is one reason why I feel so supported there. Mothers are wonderful for encouraging and loving others around them, even those that are not their own. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your life with your mom. Nice! She'd be proud of you and feel very honored I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete