Friday, March 22, 2013

...By Your Words


Matthew 12: 36-37 (NASB) “And I say to you, that every careless word that men shall speak, they shall render account for it in the day of judgment. For by your words you shall be justified, and by your words you shall be condemned.


This week, I am sharing in the encouragement with my friend Linda, as she launches her 2nd blog,  “Celebrate Your Voice,”* a blog where she plans on speaking to the things that concern her in this highly volatile, political and socio-economic dynamic within our country. She reminds us that we all have a voice and to not take that responsibility lightly, but to further explore how we are best gifted to use our words in a positive and helpful manner, wherever God directs us. 

In my Special Ed English class today, the kids got in groups and played a card game called Quiddler.  The idea, similar to Scrabble except with cards, is to make short words from the cards you’ve been dealt and not   have any remaining cards left in your hand. Points are added for words and subtracted for letters not used.  There are piles to choose from; letters you can see in a discard pile and and letters that are hidden 

In that same class today, one special student came in from lunch very sad. With big tears rolling down his cheeks, he told us that a friend spoke harsh words that upset him.

 "They said, ‘go away from me’  and it hurt my feelings."

The three of us adult teachers in the room consoled and encouraged this sensitive young man as well as other classmates.

Words challenge

Words teach

Words hurt.

Words boast

Words love

Words divide

Words heal

In the book of James in the New Testament, the writer compares the tongue to a ship’s rudder. Though the ship is great, a small rudder directed by the captain determines its course. He also reminds us that from our mouths we both bless and curse.

Like the card game, there are two choices of words : those we know will cause trouble, dissention, bitterness, a loss, a tarnished reputation—either ours or someone else’s

                                                                          OR

the pile, that when we lay down our hand, encourages, redeems, forgives, compliments, inspires, and gives hope. 

Let’s take it one step further, play another hand. God hears the words we put together in our heart. The thing is, He wants you to play your hand. Lay down the words of doubt, fear, the anxiety-laden, heart-breaking words, in a prayer.  If you don’t, those words turn into bitterness that subtract from your progress towards transforming joy. Let God take the ugly words and discard them. 

Father God, I am most thankful for Your Word, words of peace, of hope, words of purpose, words that teach, and words that bring forth unconditional love. Lord, many times my words sting, cut, rebel, complain.  Sometimes I can’t finish a sentence because I’m not trusting.  Protect me Lord from the fiery arrows of the deceiver, the one whose words wish to destroy, but instead Lord, fill me with more words that delight you, bring you glory and whose utterance defines eternity for those searching for a voice. Amen.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, words can bless, too, and I am especially blessed with a friend who takes my thoughts and sets them to sing by Scripture. Right now words fail me, all I can do is send you a blogging hug. You took the words right out of my mouth and said them even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been so many times (especially as a parent) when I have realized (sometimes too late) that my words have the power to either make the situation better or worse, to escalate an argument or a crisis or calm it, to encourage a heart or discourage it. Your post reminded me of the awesome responsibility we carry with how we use our words. You are a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post to introduce Linda's new blog.

    ReplyDelete