Friday, January 24, 2020

My Foolish First Response to a First Responder


Proverbs 14:7 Leave the presence of a fool, or you will not discern words of knowledge.

I laughed when I realized what he was saying, what I was thinking, the seriousness of it as well as the silliness of it, juxtaposed.

A dear friend who happens to be a firefighter saw a post on Facebook, one from a few days ago, on my page. Posting about a garland of pearls on my bare Christmas tree, he became alarmed...that this tree remained up in my house, that it was highly combustible.

But when I read the text, I thought he was texting about the pearls...I thought he meant the PEARLS were a danger!

What?  Pearls?
(In my defense, I was in class and maybe not fully reading my message).


Pearls strung in my artificial Christmas tree. 


In total humbleness...I was a fool, a bit sloppy in my reading and interpretation.

"Did you guys know pearls are highly combustible?" (Yes, I actually started a conversation--the foolishness continued).

"Please tell me your tree is artificial," the next text alerting me.

I read my phone again and laughed out loud at myself,  texting him back.

"Yes, my tree is fake and so are the pearls, no need to worry, my friend.

But you may need to worry about me.

"Never mind, pearls are good, both fake ones and real ones!"

My co workers can rest easy now, I am sure.  

I am thankful for wise friends, firefighting concerned friends who love me, because it's what they do and co-workers who laugh and give grace right along with me because--that is what we do.

My artificial Christmas tree is still up and I plan to decorate it for Valentine's Day soon, a garland of pearls hidden among the sparkly hearts and pink butterflies, the rose buds and the teddy bears with outstretched arms for hugs and the last few cards received from my sons, tucked in among the branches. That is not artificial.

My Valentines tree from a past year. 


How often do we trust, rely on the misinterpretations, contemplate the words of a fool, and dwell on our own silly or even serious mistakes--and miss the grace and the wisdom that God lovingly and mercifully gives us?

Lord, how thankful I am to have friends who speak truth into my life. You give us protection and grace within the body of Christ. Like sparkly hearts, wisdom and accountability touch us and like garland, wrap around us. These things are the real deal! May I have the ability to give myself grace when I don't see things as I should and give others the same grace. Help us Lord to seek wisdom and rid ourselves of foolish ways. Lord, some of us need to take a second look and take back a few foolish words and ideas we think and say. Sometimes, we just need to laugh at ourselves and move on. In that obedience, you turn our folly into wisdom, a gift to help others. Father God, lead us in this world, to not be so combustible but discerning and careful. Thank you Lord, for grace given, real concern from friends--our own First Responders in life. 









12 comments:

  1. Great Analogy! I often wonder about some people. They post old or untruthful articles on Facebook that I’m sure they never really read, and then continue to keep sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People use social media differently. I'm glad my minute of untruth got corrected swiftly.

      Delete
  2. Looks like Barb was the your First Responder to this post, but I will gladly claim 2nd place. I love the funny little ways we all respond to each other as we navigate this journey called life, and having fellow travelers to laugh with is such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a writer my friend. I see a devotional book coming out on Amazon in the future with your name on it. Good storytelling and analogy to wrap it with a substantial bow. Love you Coleene, hope we can hang out again in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would like that. Thanks for the encouragement. 🦋

      Delete
  4. Well there you have it Coleene! Another confirmation! Compile all your wonderful devotionals and put them in a book! And I LOVE Leslee Riddell's idea - AMAZON! You. Will. Do. It! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody,forever my #1 fan. I write because I've been told I can write. I hope you are...right! ❤🦋

      Delete
  5. Coleene, Great story and definitely a verse to remember! May God continue to Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a communication person, this post makes me once again realize how easily digital communication goes awry. I love it and can’t wait to read your next post. There never was any question for me about your writing ability. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could blame it on digital communication. It was me, I didn't fully engage. Thanks also Linda, for always being in my corner and sparking creativity in me. Love you.

    ReplyDelete