Friday, June 1, 2012

Cure for Summertime Blues


Psalm 61: 1a Hear my cry, O God;

Down, sad, forlorn, lonely, anxious, can’t quite put my finger on it, but my emotions seem to be front and center this week. Routines are ending, summer is dawning, good-byes and hugs, packing up, sending out…whatever.

Anxiety and worry, sometimes just thinking TOO much is how that sneaky ol’ devil gets us off track.  Are you sure there are only four chambers in my heart?  It feels so heavy.  

Walking helps. Got to get back the everyday steps.
  
Sharpen my good sketch pencil and start that picture I’ve thought about for weeks.

Call all my friends.

But today, right now, I am opening my Bible.  It’s June 1st,  6-1. OK, Psalm 61 it is. 

Oh…these verses…

Lord, You minister to me and fill my heart with tender care. 
These verses…the ones my son and I memorized together in his anxious moments. The verses we whispered to each other on phone calls from hospital beds and late night freeway rides.

Switchfoot is singing in my head…”I’ve got my Vice-Verses.” 

Thank you Lord for your sweet conversation with me; eyes wide open in Your Word. I call on you for inspiration and You fill me with Your mercy and truth. Summer Soul-tice, I’m ready and encouraged. Amen 


Psalm 61

New King James Version (NKJV)

Assurance of God’s Eternal Protection

To the Chief Musician. On a stringed instrument. A Psalm of David.

61 Hear my cry, O God;
Attend to my prayer.
From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For You have been a shelter for me,
A strong tower from the enemy.
I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;
I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah
For You, O God, have heard my vows;
You have given me the heritage of those who fear Your name.
You will prolong the king’s life,
His years as many generations.
He shall abide before God forever.
Oh, prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him!
So I will sing praise to Your name forever,
That I may daily perform my vows.

No comments:

Post a Comment