Friday, July 25, 2014

Seal of Approval

Matthew 26:41 "Keep watching and praying, that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." 


Just recently a "new to us" refrigerator found its way into our kitchen do to a move by the in-laws. I don't think I've ever owned a brand new fridge. We've always managed with a second hand one. That's OK. 

This one though, seems to have a mind of its own, sort of a sense of humor...maybe.  

It seals very well.  So well in fact, I can't open it at times. 

I'll shut it after getting ice, then refill the tray. I grab the handle and pull and it doesn't budge, but my water splish-splashes out of the tray. Putting the tray down, I go for attempt two.  

Not giving.

So, then I put my foot on one door and two hands on the handle and after grimacing, pulling and tugging...the suction releases and it opens.  

I stand there wondering why I opened it in the first place...Oh yeah, the ice cube tray...haha. 

"Hey Mr. refrigerator, I'm getting ICE...not the ice cream!  

"Sure you were."  wink wink...said a talking appliance...

(Wasn't there a movie like that?)*




When temptation enters our minds, and it always does...I'm sure glad God makes it hard to open that door. Staying in prayer and the Word keeps the ice cube trays of my soul filled and refreshed. Ice Cream tastes great while indulging, and usually finds its voice to call you back for a second bowl. Why not add some whipped cream and syrup to that while I'm at it! 



  

UGH...regret.  There goes the 3 miles I walked this morning.

There goes my witness, my honor, my reputation, my checkbook, my ministry, my friendships, my marriage, my job, respect...

Little temptation or big one, this world encourages bad behavior and a lot of it is no longer behind closed or sealed doors.  

Lord, thank you that you close doors and tighten the seal when we start to ponder in the wrong "pond." Thank you for your Powerful Word that I have hidden in my heart so that I might not sin against thee. Thank you for your protection, for supernatural interventions and friends with godly counsel. Thank you for the church, the Body of Christ filled with sinners just like me, who strive for transparency; righteousness, and forgive one another, that through our struggles, You receive the glory.May the ice cream melt away in someone else's bowl, the frozen chocolate chips "be used for baking purposes"  and the Starbucks always ordered as a "skinny-no whip!" Where I am weak, you are strong! Amen. 


~~~

*The Brave Little Toaster 

1 comment:

  1. Oh yeah, I love the idea of a fridge with a sense of humor! Talk about personification deftly used to make your point.

    ReplyDelete