Friday, June 7, 2013

It is Still Called "Today"


Hebrews 3:13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “today,” lest any one of you be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

We all know a “Debbie Downer,” a “Negative Nate.” They only see the struggle, not the strength, the evil, not the good, the sweat and labor, not the finished product, the mistakes, not the chance to try again. They live their life in a pit of discouragement and a raincloud follows them around.

It’s hard to be around these people.






I know there existed a time in my Christian life, I felt that way, probably acted that way.  Overwhelmed, tired, crabby, hopeless.

You know what the problem was? Really? ME! My circumstances were not ideal. People and stuff did not seem to want to cooperate, but the sin of complacency, of idleness and hypocrisy hardened my heart.

The Word stagnated on my desk, no involvement in ministry and accountability, and my prayer life? Well, let just say I needed a major tune-up and then some.

When I thought things couldn’t get worse, I found a spiral notebook, and my journal days began. I dated the pages, and I wrote, and wrote.

TODAY…this happened and that happened…blah, blah, blah.  My journals, a conversation with ME, suddenly started turning into a conversation with HIM. Happening gradually, God began to encourage me in His quiet, loving voice and I began to feel hope again, as my words sought after His Words.

The Holy Spirit, the Great Encourager, longs to massage our attitudes and change our names. When we allow His voice to fill our hearts, listen to His Words to gain wisdom, and ask for His strength to walk a different path in our head, we can be around ourselves again, and bring the overflow within us to become encouragers to others.



Lord, Every day, this world in desperate need to know Your hope God, discouraging things are happening around us every minute.  In this week of graduations and hopeful futures, help me, help Your church, to thwart the deceiver of discouragement. I bow my head and praise You for the Grace of yesterday, the Good things of TODAY, and the HOPE of tomorrow. TODAY God, encourage me, and help me TOMORROW, to pay it forward. To You be the glory, Amen.     


1 comment:

  1. I have walked beside you along this road and share the same sentiments about letting the overflow encourage others. Nice post my friend.

    ReplyDelete