Friday, November 30, 2012

What Do I Know?


Hebrews 13:8 (NIV)

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.



 The Christmas Season no longer comes gently with a few glittery Christmas cards arriving from friends in the mail and a single strand of lights hung around the window. Starting right at the end of October, a bombardment of advertisement, projections of sales, Black Friday lines, and tremendous expectations proceed December 25th.  How much can we get, how quickly and for how much?  Just finishing Thanksgiving last week, I feel the pressure already to get my decorations out and deck the halls.

With one son in heaven and my other moved out this year, routines continue to change around the Holidays.  My extended family, nieces and nephews, all grown now, some married or in college, are making their own traditions.  Once again, the expectations swirl around in the hot chocolate of Christmas memories and there is so much I miss.

Christmas past remains magical, Christmas future, forever hopeful, but what of Christmas present?

Walking into an office supply store tonight, I  heard the music piped into the shopping experience.  Crooning a question, the question, Bing Crosby asked, “Do you know what I know?”  

Said the shepard boy to the mighty king
Do you know what I know
(Do You Know What I Know)

In your palace warm mighty king
Do you know what I know
(Do You Know What I Know)
A child, a child
Shivers in the cold
Let us bring him silver and gold
                                Let us bring him silver and gold



No matter how many things change, God remains the same.  I worship and celebrate Him this Christmas as the newborn God-man miracle. I worship and celebrate at Easter as the crucified and resurrected Victor over my sin. In every day in between, I worship Him as my Lord and Savior, the One who takes away my worldly disappointments and unfilled expectations and gives me in return a Season of Hope that never ends.

My Savior I pray, give me a heart of worship this season.  May my Christmas be a gentle chorus of angel songs and warm candlelight, mistletoe kisses and hugs from friends, sweet memories and joyful laughter, but mostly, may I promote your Hope in all my Holi-days.

3 comments:

  1. This is just the reminder we all need to celebrate the reason for the season. Thanks for the timely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I know is...nothing stays the same no matter how hard we try to make it so not even our memories of Christmas past.....not even faith...it can grow with everyday if practiced or it can lesson without to the lowest point of none at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems we barely choke down the turkey and we are standing in line at the stores asking, seeking, demanding more, more, more. When He gives us ALL we really need in the simple love He brings and reminds us to share with those around us. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete