Friday, February 28, 2020

Leap Day of Faith

Psalm 90:12 "So teach us to number our days, that we may present to Thee a heart of wisdom."


February is the shortest month, only 28 days. Wow! What just happened? I just packed up my Christmas stuff!  March sweeps in to cheer us and bless us after we were loved on by February.

---and all those mattress sales for President's Day!   

Time flies, an idiom all too many of us can relate to.  

We've been given a gift this year; February of 2020 is a Leap Year. An extra day is added to the calendar "to slow down and synchronize the calendar year with the seasons. Leap days were first added to the Julian Calendar in 46 B.C. by Julius Caesar at the advice of Sosigenes, an Alexandrian astronomer." (Earthsky.org). 

As I walked outside tonight, thoughtful and prayerful, but yet still leaving to run an errand, busyness--I paused in awe of the heavens and all its glory. 




That is the juxtaposing moments of life: moving, checking things off real or virtual lists, preparing, working and then relaxing, pondering, being entertained. You know your own day, the planned and sometimes the unplanned. 

The Psalmist asks the Father first, to teach us. We make time in our schedule where we sit under the anointed sharing and applying of His Word. God set aside the Sabbath day, or for most, Sundays for corporate worship. Spending  time with God in my morning drive, in my afternoon conversations and in my evening prayers as well as being reminded of truth in His word is essential for me in my everyday commitment to grow and know Him. Yet, there are those days... 

I pray to be teachable everyday, to be in His Word so that I can have that wisdom in my heart when I need it, when time stands still, when time runs out, when time isn't an option. 

Then the Psalmist says..."teach me to number my days." Well, don't we do this with a calendar, now on our phones and readily available? The Psalmist seems to know and in his wisdom is asking God to help him make the best out of each day, for he knows his time is short as compared to eternity. 

In Psalm 39:4 it states it this way, "Lord, make me know my end and what is the extent of my days. Let me know how transient I am." 

If the calendar gave us one extra day this month, sort of like "more time," I'd hope to use it to better myself, gain more wisdom, recognize my weak, transient ways and more importantly, where my everyday strength comes from. In other words, an extra day to give Him praise and seek His will. 

"If I just had one more day..." 





Think how you might end that sentence. We cannot live victoriously in Christ with regrets. Jesus Christ, on that one day ordained for Him to die and on the third day promised and fulfilled that promise when He conquered all of time and eternity, rising from the dead. He gave us a gift of eternity free from regrets. If we recognize and ponder on this marvelous gift, how much of our time is spent in wanting to know Him more and do His will, give Him the praise He so deserves? How much of our time is wasted? 

Lord, time is fleeting. Our days are numbered. Moments are precious with loved ones and friends. Sometimes, I feel I am in catch-up mode for those times wasted. Lord, I know that You can do exponential things in a heart that humbly submits and seeks Your goodness. You redeem all our days! Lord, help us all to take a "Leap of Faith" and lay down some of our busyness, our apathy and our self-righteous attitudes that we just "don't have time." A sacrificial heart is one You delight in. May my days reflect Your goodness and grace in each day You have given me to make Your Name known.Thank You for my hard days and my glory days, Lord, for both, teach me Your wisdom and empower me with Your strength as my days draw nearer to seeing You, face to face. Amen. 


Morning Glory 

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this Coleene. Thanks for the reminder to make each moment - each day count. Such a cute picture of you and Timmy. :)

    ReplyDelete