Friday, March 20, 2020

Certainty

Hosea 6:3  "So let us know, let us press on to know the Lord.  
                    His going forth is as certain as the dawn;  
                    And He will come to us like the rain, 
                    Like the spring rain watering the earth."

About six weeks ago, my son helped me dig a spiral trench in which I placed daffodil bulbs. Greatly discounted, I purchased the lonely bag I found on the bottom of a wayward rack at the local Home Depot. Planting time is usually around late fall. A warm February day reminded me of the plan. I remember we dug right after I returned from church. I rushed my son's help before he took off for whatever adventures awaited him--certain he had other plans.

The thing is, the way they looked in the bag, a bit tattered, possibly compromised, I wasn't sure they were viable. What I knew though, encouraged me to plant anyways, placing the bulbs snug next to each other. I imagined their beauty coming up in the spring, the circular movement of my design in the planting and the hope that next year,  I could plant a mirror image on the other side.



As I placed each bulb down and finished, I stood back, amazed at the perfect fit in the trench, from beginning bulb to the last one. It seemed certain that this might be their purpose.

About two weeks ago, after a very dry February, I noticed the ground cracking and the tips of a few daffodils starting to protrude. I grabbed the hose and drenched the earth, absent of rain since Christmas. My hope, that all might make their way and burst through the ground.

A pair of doves (here is one) came to my garden one day. 


In planting and procurring a butterfly garden, and all the past experience, I am certain that the Monarch and other butterflies will soon be in abundance. I look forward with certainty, watching the sprouts that annualy come up, warmer weather and colorful petals along with the bees--are just around the corner. Today, I spotted a beautiful female monarch out my picture window. With certainty, I made my way outside with my phone to capture her delighting in her milkweed nursery in which to lay her eggs. I counted half a dozen fat caterpillars preparing with their own certainty, something supernatural might just be coming soon.










March brought us rain. Spring rain. I am certain this special gift from Heaven will encourage everything nature intended it to.

~~~

This week, #coronavirus changed our lives.

Certainty, a word we cannot use on most of what we do everyday. Uncertain when we might return to work, to school, to even our place of worship. Uncertain about this virus, the who, what and where. Uncertain about what we can buy at the grocery store. Uncertain of the information we are receiving, our bank accounts, but certain only in the fact that vigilance and duty to the orders given must be implemented to do our part, to best help.

But, then the certainty comes. We are certain we must socially distance ourselves from each other, wash our hands with compulsion and frequency and be a good neighbor.

Children giving their neighbor a "concert" in Ohio 




We become uncertain at things we haven't experienced for ourselves, with trusting other people's information, with the unknown. The reverse becomes true on what we are certain of. We know what we know, because of our own truth. We've experienced the faithful  truth raining down over and over into our life, how expectant we are that hope will fly in, how humbling and courageous we are to make a way, open up our hearts to plant a promise and then nurture it to bloom. I am certain that God is good.

I am certain that the Lord goes before me. He makes Himself known over and over again in my life. People will do and say uncertain things, institutions will fail, viruses send messages of fear and uncertain futures. But the Lord's certain and sustained love keeps me pressed in to Him for all my uncertain moments.

Thank You Father God,  for being the certain and steadfast Spring Rain in my heart and soul. You refresh and prepare me with Your Word for Holy things. I am certain of Your grace planted deep and how You allow me to see through my own cracks in the ground of my human decisions, a story to be told. Your unfailing grace and plan, your supernatural design for me, a certainty of the Divine Plan. Thank You that I know where my sustenance is, where I can place my hope and even my legacy in, for You are certain to hear my prayers and answer them in Your perfect timing and certain to give me blessings in this life and into eternity. I pray and ask for those uncertain and living in fear of what they have not experienced in You, to lay aside what they think they know and press into You, the God who makes Himself known and certain when we seek Your face. In Your Amazing Grace, Amen.


A bee sheltering in a safe place.
And most certainly, the daffodils bloom 


2 comments:

  1. Live this post! In these uncertain times, God provides the certainty if we just submit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's it isn't it. The certain & the uncertain. A beautiful reminder to remember certainty in times past when I'm experiencing uncertainty in the present - like this virus. Beautiful analogy.

    ReplyDelete